Categories

Archives

Search

Blog XII

June 25th, 2011 by Beheshta Mohammad

Why is Narratolgy useful?

When I first entered this class I never really had even heard of narratolgy. But once I was introduced to Jahn it seemed as if stories just seemed to make more sense. By this I mean that when i used to read books it was just to read it and get to the end but when I learned of narratolgy i learned to read with depth. I began to understand stories through a different perspective. In my view narratolgy makes reading a book worth it because you are reading and know that you will be getting something out of the story.

When i used to read before I would just read. One of my favorite books of all time is “A Thousand Splendid Suns” and knowing that book deals with two different characters and two different perspectives I never really read the book in depth to understand why it was written that way. But after Jahn’s work I now understand the importance of the author’s use of two different women of two different age, social class, two different mind set, and how all these differences played such a crucial part of understanding the characters adn the reasoning behind the book.

I have learned that narratolgy is very important in the understanding of the story in general. You get the authors point of view of the world through characters that you can relate to. I feel narratolgy makes reading something knowledgeable because readers are reading to gain something out of the story rather than just pleasure.

Posted in Uncategorized | No Comments »